Gaining experience in the farming skill begins with harvesting of allotments, hops, and herbs and later turns into crop running to checking on the health of trees and fruit trees. The fastest and most effective training in farming requires the use of all the teleporting methods available to a player to farming patches across Runescape. Additionally, the amulet of nature can be helpful while crop running as it will allow an aspiring farmer to keep tabs on farming patches. Lunar Magic is helpful for its Fishing guild and Catherby teleports as well as its Cure Plant and Fertile Soil spells, all of which are available at 83 Magic after completion of the Lunar Diplomacy quest.
It is also great to note that every player have their own methods of running to patches and training this skill. It is best for you to figure out the best path, the best seeds to plant, what you want to plant, what you can afford. Many players change their routine based on new transportation and items that comes into the game. Focus on what works for you.
Helpful Tips to Remember
- You can add compost to any stage of the crop as compost increase the harvest yield. Super Compost increases the harvest yield greatly and reduces the chance of your crops becoming diseased (if not being watched by the local farmer).
- Trees, Fruit Trees, Calquats, and Bushes don't require compost if you are paying the farmer, since the crop yield is fixed.
- Paying the farmer to look after your patches increases your exp per run, avoid crops dying, but it is costly.
- Tithe Mini-game Teleport unlocked - To gain teleport every 20mins to Zeah Farming Patch/Vineyard.
- Stealing from the Fruit Stall on Zeah will help you gain payments such as apples, pineapples, bananas, and other fruits.
- Unlocking Mini-game Teleports are useful. Nightmare Zone for Hop Patch in Yanille, Rat Pit (Port Sarim) to get access to Zeah, Entrana (Hop Patch), and Falador Farming Patch, Rimmington for Bush Patch.
- Teleport to House (Yanille, Rimmington, Brimhaven). Yanille for Hop, Rimmington for Bush, Brimhaven for Calquat and fruit tree.
Recommended Quests Edit
- Tree Gnome Village - Access to spirit trees for transportation.
- The Grand Tree - Access to Spirit Tree in the Tree Gnome Stronghold (if you have completed the Tree Gnome Village quest) and access to the Gnome glider transportation system.
- Fairytale I - Growing Pains - Rewarded with Magic secateurs.
- Fairytale II - Cure a Queen - Access to Fairy ring network. (Only need to start the quest, you do not need any of the stats required)
- My Arm's Big Adventure - Access to disease-free herb patch near Trollheim.
- Ghosts Ahoy - For Ectophial
- Mourning's Ends Part I - Access to Lletya (fruit tree patch) and teleport crystals. (Only need to start the quest for the crystal.)
- Enlightened Journey - Access to Balloon Transportation. Access to Entrana for Hop, Crafting Guild for Bush, Taverley for Tree Patch, Gnome Stronghold for Fruit Tree and Tree.
NOTE: It is possible to bypass the relatively slow early levels of farming entirely by doing quests. Doing Fairytale I - Growing Pains then Forgettable Tale of a Drunken Dwarf followed by Garden of Tranquillity and lastly My Arm's Big Adventure will net the player 21.5k Farming experience (level 34) with no Farming training required before or between the quests.
Recommended items Edit
- Amulet of glory with charges.
- Ring of charos (a) - Reduces cost of charter ships.
- Amulet of bounty - Gives a 25% chance of saving seeds when planting in allotment patches only.
- Magic secateurs - Increases yield of allotments, hops, and herbs by 10%.
- Ectophial - Allows quick and free access to farming patches northwest of Port Phasmatys.
- Explorer's ring 2 and higher - Teleports straight to the Falador farming patch.
- Teleport crystal - Quick access to Lletya's fruit tree patch.
- Farmer's outfit - Gives a 2.5% exp boost for every farming action.
- Ardougne cloak 1+ - Cloak 1 and above gives unlimited to Monastery, Cloak 2+ give limited teleports to Ardougne Farming Patch
- Skills necklace - To Fishing Guild, to go to the Ardougne Farming Patch quicker.
- Chronicle Book with teleport cards - Teleports you to the Champions' Guild for Bush and Hop Patch.
- Xeric's talisman - "Xeric's Glade" teleports you near the farming patches in Zeah.
Levels 1-14 Edit
Beginners part 1 Edit
It is highly recommended to bypass the early farming levels by questing. Recipe for Disaster (Goblin Generals), Fairytale I - Growing Pains then Forgettable Tale of a Drunken Dwarf, Garden of Tranquillity, My Arm's Big Adventure, Enlightened Journey. This will bring the player to level 35, as well as getting the Magic Secateurs, which are recommended for farming herbs and allotments. If you don't like questing, of course you can farm through the lower levels, but they are rather slow and tedious, with very low returns.
This section is intended for players that do not have the ability to transport across Runescape - usually low level players. Start off with using the allotment patch south of Falador and the hops patch north of Lumbridge.
- Using compost then supercompost will yield exp for both while increasing the harvest yield.
- Plant marigolds in the flower patch but do not harvest them - your allotments are not protected until the flower is fully grown. Progressively plant the allotment seeds appropriate to your level. When growing cabbages, pay the gardener to watch over your crops because they are not protected by the marigolds. The only crops to keep are the onion and tomato harvests - these are used as payments to gardeners. The rest can be used as ingredients to make compost.
- Herbs can be planted, starting at level 9, but are not recommended unless the harvests are needed as ingredients to train Herblore. They are difficult to keep from becoming diseased. Using supercompost is costly and frequent inspections for disease is time consuming.
- Plant barley seeds in the hops patch and pay the gardener to watch over them. Bypass planting hammerstone seeds and advance through to Jute seeds.
Crop running Edit
This section is intended for higher level players but are just starting to train in Farming. A vegetable run with the allotment patches south of Falador, north of Catherby, and north of Ardougne are sufficient at this stage.
- Plant marigolds in the flower patch but do not harvest them - the allotments are not protected until the flower is fully grown. Progressively plant the allotment seeds appropriate to your level and use compost to increase the harvest yield. When growing cabbages, pay the gardener to watch over your crops because they are not protected by the marigolds. The only crops to keep are the onion and tomato harvests - these are used as payments to gardeners. The rest can be used as ingredients to make compost.
- Herbs- always use supercompost.
- Hops can be ignored unless the harvests are needed as ingredients to train Cooking. Hops patches are not nearly as convenient to standard teleportation sites, have only one patch versus allotment sites which have 2 allotment, 1 flower, 1 herb patch, and a compost bin.
- There is no need to use supercompost at this stage. Gardeners are only needed for cabbages.
- Another good way to bypass the early levels is to play Sorceress's Garden. Aside from decent Thieving experience, a Farming level of 15-20 can be reached over a few hours, making it a good option if the player is interested in advancing Thieving as well.
- A great way for Iron Men to get seeds is by pickpocketing Master Farmers.
Levels 15-30 Edit
Beginners part 2 Edit
- Tree patch unless you are able to use tree spirits from Tree Gnome Village.
- Include the allotment and hops patches on your way to each tree run patch.
- Bank all armour and equipment before starting a run to increase running distance and decrease the travel time between tree patches.
- Plant sweetcorn seeds at level 20 and use supercompost to increase the yield. Pay the gardener to watch over the crops until a scarecrow can be used to protect it from disease at level 23.
- At level 26, do not plant sweetcorn seeds anymore. Remove the scarecrow and plant a Limpwurt seed in the flower patch instead. Go back to planting tomato seeds and using compost in the allotment patch. This time, pay the gardener to watch over the tomatoes.
Crop running Edit
The main focus here should be on tree runs and incorporate fruit tree runs (see crop running) at level 27.
- Wait to plant sweetcorn seeds until level 23 when a scarecrow can be used to protect the sweetcorn from disease since hops were relatively ignored. At this point use supercompost to increase the yield.
- At level 26, do not plant sweetcorn seeds anymore. Remove the scarecrow and plant a Limpwurt seed in the flower patch instead. Go back to planting tomato seeds and using compost in the allotment patch. This time, pay the gardener to watch over the tomatoes. Don't forget to bring some baskets when harvesting the Tomatoes!
- Perform vegetable runs between tree runs.
- Start a fruit tree run at level 27 with apple seeds and use supercompost to increase the harvest.
- At level 30, start planting willow seeds.
Levels 31-48 Edit
At this point, running to each patch is no longer practical.
- Continue to progress through allotments, using supercompost to treat the soil.
- Include allotment patch in Port Phasmatys to the vegetable run.
- Requires Ectophial.
- At level 31, when planting strawberries, plant Limpwurt seeds in the flower patch.
- At level 34, with 100% favour towards the Hosidius house in Great Kourend, players can gain sizable experience between the time it takes crops to grow (or train exclusively) at the Tithe Farm minigame, gaining up to 70k+ xp/hr at higher levels.
- At level 36, include bush runs with Dwellberry seeds. Three vegetable runs can be performed between each bush runs.
- Perform bush runs between tree runs.
- Watermelons can either be used as an ingredient for supercompost or as a payment for Jangerberry bush (6).
- Perform your tree run immediately after logging in. Plant the tree seed which will grow during the time you plan on playing. Perform a tree run right before you log off and plant the highest tree seed you are able.
Levels 49-99 Edit
At this point, time is the limiting factor in quickly gaining experience because normal trees and fruit trees take several hours to grow (see Seed Table). These levels are dominated by the availability of seeds which are rare and expensive. It is recommended to constantly check for the next two higher level tree/fruit tree seeds. Growing fruit trees are a great way to get your farming up very cheaply, but they take much longer to grow than regular trees, usually only one fruit tree run can be done daily.
Alternatively, experience may be gained at the Tithe Farm minigame with 100% favour towards the Hosidius house in Great Kourend. In this way players can gain significant farming experience between the time it takes patches to grow, or train exclusively at the minigame in order to save money on seeds. Major boosts in experience gained occur at Farming levels 54 and 74, and experience rates can average upwards of 70k+ xp/hr.
- Add the bush run and hops run to your training (see crop running).
- A typical sequence would be -fruit tree run, several vegetable runs and hops runs between each bush run, several bush runs between each tree run.
- Growing herbs at higher levels can be very profitable, making up for the loss of buying tree seeds.
- Supercompost should be used with every type of seed planted at this point - including normal trees.
- Special seeds should be ignored unless they are to used to train Herblore with the exception of Calquat tree seeds.
- Include Calquat trees in your fruit tree run at level 72.
- Poison ivy seeds can be planted at the Ardougne Monastery bush patch, which can be easily accessed by an Ardougne cloak 1 or higher. They can also be planted near the Rimmington house portal which is easily accessible with the Teleport to House spell, and the Champion's Guild which is easily accessible through the teleport option on the Chronicle. By harvesting these patches, you can obtain the 8 poison ivy berries which are required as payment to protect a Calquat tree. This will save you money while giving you extra farming experience.
See also Edit