A pet fish may be obtained from Harry's Fishing Shop in Catherby, by using a tiny net to fish in one of aquarium fishing spots inside the shop. For a player to be able to fish in the aquarium it is necessary for them to have a fishbowl containing water and seaweed in their inventory. Catching a pet fish gives 1 Fishing experience.
There are three different types of pet fish. It is possible to own multiple types of pet fish at the same time and to have more than one fish of the same colour. The type of fish received is dependent on the player's Fishing level. At level 99, players have a 40% chance of catching a bluefish, 40% chance of catching a greenfish, and a 20% chance of receiving a spinefish. Additionally, you have to be at least level 70 fishing to be able to obtain the orange (spinefish) variant.
Players can interact with their pet fish in a number of ways with the following results.
- Good fish. Just keep swimming... swimming... swimming...
- The fish swims. It is clearly an obedient fish.
- (If the character is female): "Jump! 'Cmon boy, Jump!"; (If the character is male): "Jump! 'Cmon girl, Jump!".
- The fish bumps into the side of the fishbowl. Then it swims some more.
- Good fish...
- If you drop your fishbowl it will break!
- Drop it regardless / Keep hold
- "Just keep swimming...swimming...swimming" is a reference to Dory from Finding Nemo.
- If any item except fish food is used on the pet fish you get the message "Your fish looks at you strangely. You get the feeling this will not work."
- Fish can be put in the menagerie of a player-owned house. However, you will only be able to interact by talking to it.
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •