Free-to-play, also known as F2P, is the free version of Old School RuneScape where no payment to Jagex is required to play. Players who play the free version of RuneScape are known as "Free players", "F2Pers", or "Non-members". This is in contrast to members, who pay a fee for access to a much larger map and a multitude of skills, items, quests, and activities that are unavailable to free-to-play users. Free-to-play users can gain access to membership through in-game purchases of membership bonds.
Free-to-play in Old School Runescape was released permanently on the 19th of February 2015. Before this, a 2-week F2P trial was available for new accounts. Anyone with a valid RuneScape account can access free-to-play servers.
While free-to-play accounts have many limitations that members do not, free to play still yields a decent gaming experience for players.
Free-to-play accounts have access to 15 skills, with a maximum total level of 1485.
The skills are:
- Melee skills: attack, strength and defence (and Hitpoints)
- Magic with limited access to standard spells
- Strike, bolt and elemental blast spells plus Crumble Undead
- Confuse, Weaken, Curse and Bind spells
- Level 1, 2, 3, and 4 enchantments (limited to amulets for free-to-play)
- Home, Varrock, Lumbridge and Falador Teleports
- Telekinetic Grab
- Bones to Bananas, Low Level Alchemy, High Level Alchemy and Superheat Item
- Magic armour is limited to blue and black wizard robes and staves are limited to the four elemental staves, Magic staff, basic staff, and Skull sceptre
- Prayers are available up to level 45 Mystic Might
- Runecrafting elemental, mind and body runes
- Mining and Smithing
- Fishing and Cooking
- Woodcutting and Firemaking
There are relatively few monsters in free-to-play, partly due to there being only six dungeons in the free-to-play map. The dungeons are:
- Asgarnia Ice Dungeon (except the Skeletal Wyvern area)
- Crandor and Karamja Dungeon
- Dwarven mine
- Edgeville Dungeon (except the section that is in the Wilderness)
- Stronghold of Security
- Varrock Sewer
Some monsters have restricted drop tables in F2P, and not all areas contain all of the monsters found in members servers.
The highest level free-to-play monsters are Evil Chicken and Shades. The only boss with broadcast loot and kill counter is Obor, who can be killed in Edgeville Dungeon after having retrieved the key to his lair. Other notable higher level monsters include Ankous, Lesser demons, Greater demons, and the quest boss Elvarg.
There are 19 free-to-play quests with a total of 40 available quest points. With 32 quest points Champions' Guild becomes available and players may start what is arguably the most challenging free-to-play quest, Dragon Slayer.
Although there are a great quantity of items unavailable to free players, they can still use many metal armours and weapons, Wizard Robes and hats, Leather / Hard / Studded leather armour, and green dragonhide armour.
Free players are limited to 400 bank spaces in which to store items.
Old school bonds can be purchased with real world cash or with in-game Coins, and can be redeemed in-game for membership playtime. It is possible to make enough money in-game to play membership content without having to pay any real-world money.
There are 12 free-to-play servers located in United States, United Kingdom, and Germany. Seven of the servers are themed.