|Release date||27 February 2002 (Update)|
|Start point||Outside the Heroes' Guild; north of Taverley. Speak with Achietties.|
|Description||Prove you are worthy to enter the Heroes' Guild. To prove your status as a hero you will need to obtain a number of items. There are many challenges standing between you and these items.|
|Length||Medium-Long (can be completed in less than 25 minutes if you already have a partner and all the required items)|
If you are a Black Arm Gang member:
If you are a Phoenix Gang member:
|Enemies to defeat|
Talk to Achietties outside the Heroes' Guild about joining the guild. She will tell you that in order to get in you need to give her three items: a fire feather from an Entrana firebird, a cooked lava eel, and a Master Thieves' Armband.
Master Thieves' armbandEdit
For this part of the quest, you will need the help of a player of the opposite gang. Players that have completed the quest may go back and help others. For finding a quest partner, the Minigame Group Finder is useful. You can also usually find a partner of the clan chat 'Osrs Soa' during peak hours.
- Note: You do not need to meet the quest's skill requirements (Cooking, Fishing, Herblore, Mining) in order to complete this part of the quest. This means that you can obtain help from someone who does not meet these requirements, or complete it ahead of time yourself if you do not meet those requirements. You can also partner up with someone if you have finished the quest - see Trivia for more details.
Black Arm Gang membersEdit
Go to Varrock and talk to Katrine who is just west of the south Varrock entrance. She will tell you the gang's password which is "four leafed clover". She will tell you that you have to steal ScarFace Pete's candlesticks who is in Brimhaven.
Go to Brimhaven and find the gang office, which is the building along the fence, east of the bar and south of the Agility Arena. Talk to Trobert who is in the building south of the agility arena, and he will give you some id papers, which you will need to get into ScarFace Pete's mansion. Equip the black full helm, black platebody and black platelegs; then, go to the mansion. When you try to enter ScarFace Pete's Mansion, you will be stopped by Garv. Show him the id papers, and he will let you pass. Once inside, talk to Grip and ask him what your duties involve; then, ask him if there is anything you can do. He will give you a miscellaneous key (has to be done for those who've already done the quest if the key isn't banked). Leave the building and give the key to your Phoenix Gang partner.
Back inside, head into the northeastern room of the entrance. Wait for your partner to be on the other side of the wall (on the east side); then, search the cupboard. A guard will tell you that Grip really doesn't like his drinks being touched; ignore the guard's comments. Grip will then come into the room, yelling at you to get your hands off them. Your Phoenix Gang partner will then kill Grip through the slot in the hidden room. If Grip backs away from your partner, search the cupboard again to get him back into position. Once he dies, pick up the key he drops.
Using the key, go to the treasure room (the ground floor[ room with coins on the floor) and open the chest in the first room to receive two candlesticks. Give one candlestick to your Phoenix Gang partner. Go back to Varrock and talk to Katrine. She will give you the ]Thieves' armband.
- Note: Be sure to pick up the candlesticks yourself; otherwise, Katrine will say you weren't the one to retrieve the candlestick and you will have to go back to do it all over again.
Phoenix Gang membersEdit
Head to Varrock, and speak to Straven at the hideout to get the password for Alfonse. Get a bow and arrows before heading to Brimhaven. First, get the miscellaneous key from your Black Arm Gang partner.
Go to The Shrimp and Parrot bar (not the southern bar) in Brimhaven. Once you are there, talk to Alfonse the waiter and then to Charlie the cook. Give them the password. Charlie the cook will tell you about secret wall that you are able to push. The pushable wall is in the kitchen, same place as where Charlie is, near where you will see some guard dogs.
Get past these and into the mansion by the western door. Once inside, use the miscellaneous key on the northern door. This brings you in a closet with a window into a room with a cupboard. Shoot through the hole in the wall at Grip and kill him with Ranged or Magic. He will drop the key for your Black Arm Gang partner.
Items required: None.
If you do not already own Ice gloves, go to White Wolf Mountain (east of Catherby, west of Taverley). Enter the mountain at the southern entrance, and walk or run north until you come to a rock slide. Use a pickaxe on the rock slide and go through it (this requires 50 Mining). Once you are through, you will be near level 57 ice warriors and three ladders.
Use the southern ladder and go down the southwestern tunnel. Go up the ladder just after the tunnel bends north. Once you go up, you will see level 53 ice giants there. Take the eastern ladder down. Go north through the long tunnel with level 61 ice spiders and ice giants (the spiders in the tunnel do not show up on minimap). The tunnel makes a loop and ends at a ladder. Go up the ladder, then go down the other. Continue down the tunnel until it opens up into a large room full of ice warriors and the Ice Queen. Be careful because this is a multicombat area, so you will be attacked by multiple enemies at once!
If you stand behind the throne, you can avoid the ice warriors and can still attack the Ice Queen if positioned right. Kill her and she will drop the ice gloves. Once you have the gloves, exit using the same route back or teleport out.
Bank your weapons and armour, but keep your ice gloves. Head to Port Sarim and talk to the Monk of Entrana to travel to Entrana or teleport to Castle Wars and use the hot air balloon to go there. Go to the northeastern part of the island to find the Entrana firebird. Kill it and it will drop the fire feather. Make sure to have the ice gloves equipped before picking it up.
Cooked lava eelEdit
Go to Port Sarim and talk to Gerrant at the fishing shop. He will give you a bottle of blamish snail slime. Once you have the items, make sure you have fishing bait in your inventory while doing this - use the Harralander with the vial of water and then the unfinished potion with the blamish snail slime. Right-click the blamish oil and use it on a normal fishing rod to get an oily fishing rod.
There are two possible locations where you can catch lava eels: the Taverley Dungeon or the Wilderness Lava Maze. It takes somewhat longer to reach the lava eel fishing spot in the Taverley Dungeon (if you don't have 70 or 63 Agility to skip the throwing axe room), but it's safer than travelling to levels 40-45 in the Wilderness to reach the Lava Maze. Don't forget your dusty key!
- Note: Lava eels do not burn when cooked. Do not worry about obtaining multiple eels if you are worried about burning one.
- Warning: The Lava Maze is located in deep Wilderness. Beware of any player killers. You may likely lose any quest items you are carrying and may end up needing to gather the items to make another oily fishing rod. Make sure to bring some food in case someone does try to kill you.
- Teleporting there with the burning amulet. This is the quickest way.
- Casting the Ghorrock Teleport spell (or tablet) in the Ancient Magicks spellbook, although this requires completing the quest Desert Treasure.
- Use a Waka Canoe from Edgeville into the Wilderness. This requires 57 Woodcutting. From there, simply walk west to arrive near the entrance.
- Use the Wilderness Obelisks to arrive in level 35 or 44 Wilderness. Either teleport will place you close to the entrance of the maze.
Make your way through the aggressive black knights at the entrance. Make your way through the maze until the fishing icon appears on your minimap. This is where the lava eels are caught.
Fishing a lava eel here will also complete a Hard Wilderness Diary objective.
If you don't have 70 Agility, follow the cyan path on the image to the right. Walk through the dungeon and use the Dusty key on the door between the lesser demons and blue dragons. If you have 63 Agility, you can save a bit of time by squeezing through loose railings to go straight to the lesser demon area.
If you don't have the dusty key, go past the bridge, continue south-west past the Hill Giants, and you will enter a fortress with a few black knights. Go to the east into a jail, kill the jailer, and then pick up his key. Use it with the jail cell holding Velrak the explorer. Talk to him to get the dusty key. Head back north past the hill giants and follow the cyan path to the fishing spot. Use the key on the door between the lesser demons and blue dragons. The fishing spot is near some baby blue dragons; from here, catch a lava eel.
Congratulations! Quest complete!
- 1 Quest point
- 3,075 Attack experience
- 3,075 Defence experience
- 3,075 Strength experience
- 3,075 Hitpoints experience
- 2,075 Ranged experience
- 2,725 Fishing experience
- 2,825 Cooking experience
- 1,575 Woodcutting experience
- 1,575 Firemaking experience
- 2,257 Smithing experience
- 2,575 Mining experience
- 1,325 Herblore experience
- Access to the Heroes' Guild
- The ability to purchase and wield dragon battleaxes and maces
- Access to the Fountain of Heroes, where players can recharge their amulets of glory
Required for completingEdit
- If you have completed the quest and are a part of the Black Arm Gang, you have the ability to help others who have not completed the quest and are members of the Phoenix Gang. First, you can enter the mansion without your full black armour and ask Grip for another miscellaneous key for your partner - to get another key, first ask him what your duties involve before asking "what can I do now?". Open the cabinet and allow Grip to walk into the room. Shut the door and trap him and the Phoenix Gang member must kill Grip. This will update their quest journal for the Heroes' Quest.
- Members of the Phoenix Gang who have already completed the quest also have the ability to help others who have not, and are members of the Black Arm Gang. Either use the miscellaneous key received while completing the quest initially, or get a new one from the Black Arm Gang member. Return through The Shrimp and Parrot bar to the kitchen, and then through the secret panel. Head past the guard dogs again and into mansion. Use the miscellaneous key on the door, and kill Grip once the Black Arm Gang member has lured him into position.