There are various methods by which players can increase their potential maximum Magic damage. The effects of most equipped items can be seen at the bottom of the stats window (labelled Magic damage: +x%).
|Icon||Equipment||Damage boost||Requirements to wear||Shows in Stats||Conditions/Notes|
|Ahrim's equipment||30%||70 |
|No||Only has a 25% chance to occur. Both the set and amulet must be worn to get the damage boost. Does not include staff's 5% damage bonus.|
|Amulet of the damned|
|||Castle wars bracelet||20%||None.||No||Only applies in Castle Wars against a bearer of a flag. Must be worn before the game starts, not during the game.|
|||Staff of the dead||15%||75 |
|Yes||Can also cast Slayer Dart and (auto)cast Flames of Zamorak and has a 12.5% chance of negating runes being used for that spell. Toxic version can inflict venom.|
|Toxic staff of the dead|
|||Ancestral hat||2% |
|||Ancestral robe top|
|||Ancestral robe bottom|
|||Slayer helmet (i)||15%||40 |
|Yes||Only works against monsters assigned as a Slayer assignment. Does not stack with salve amulet(ei).|
|Black mask (i)||40 |
|||Salve amulet(ei)||20%||Completion of Lair of Tarn Razorlor|
Access to Nightmare Zone
|Yes||Only works against undead. Does not stack with Slayer helmet (i) or Black mask (i).|
|||Smoke battlestaff||10%|| 30 |
|No||Only affects spells in the standard spellbook.|
|||Chaos gauntlets||+3||Completion of Family Crest||No||Only affects Bolt spells.|
|Tome of fire||50%||50||No||Only affects Fire spells. Also provides unlimited fire runes.|
|Kodai wand||15%||75||Yes||Also has a 15% chance of negating runes being used for that spell and provides unlimited water runes.|
|Ahrim's staff||5%||70 |
|||Elite Void Knight equipment||2.5%||Completion of Hard Western Provinces Diary|
|No||Also increases magic accuracy by 45%.|
|Imbued god capes||2%||Completion of The Mage Arena II||Yes||None.|
- It is important to note that items with a magic attack bonus such as the Ahrim's hood does not boost your max hit, just your accuracy. Similarly, items with a magic defence bonus, such as the black d'hide body don't affect the maximum damage you will take from spells, just your opponent's accuracy.
- Prayers such as Mystic Will, Mystic Might and Augury only increase accuracy, not max hit.
Magic Dart is a spell that increases in damage the higher the player's Magic level is. At 50, the base maximum hit is 15 and at 99 it is 19 (20 if boosts are used). However, it can only be cast by a Slayer's staff, its enchanted version or a (Toxic) staff of the dead.
The damage is significantly increased if an enchanted Slayer's staff is used to cast the spell while on task. At 75 (the minimum to wield the enchanted staff), the base maximum hit is 25, and at 99 it is 29, up to 31 if an imbued heart boosts from 99 to 108.
Salamanders can be used to attack using Magic. The maximum hit increases with the player's Magic level. Black salamanders, the strongest salamander, has a base maximum hit of 17 at 70, and at 99 it is 24, up to 27 if an imbued heart boosts from 99 to 108.
Trident of the seas/swampEdit
Tridents work differently to other staves. The damage is dependent on the player's Magic level, like Magic Dart.
At level 75 Magic, the base damage is 20, this increases up to 28 at level 99 (29 if boosted). Likewise, stat-reductions will lower the damage, but the minimum max hit will never fall below 20; even if the player's Magic level is reduced below 75.
The table below assumes you are only using the trident without any Magic damage bonuses.
|Magic levels||Maximum hit|
Maximum Magic hitEdit
- The highest possible hit in the game is currently 48, which is achievable by casting Ice Barrage, Flames of Zamorak with Charge, or Fire Wave with a charged Tome of fire on a player with the Staff of the dead, Occult necklace, Tormented bracelet, and full Ancestral robes (minus the hat) while under the effects of a Castlewar brace during a Castle Wars minigame.
- Outside of minigames, it is possible to hit a maximum of 46 by casting Ice Barrage, Flames of Zamorak with Charge, or Fire Wave with a charged Tome of fire with the Staff of the dead, Occult necklace, Tormented bracelet, Ancestral robe top and bottom, and a Slayer helmet (i) on a slayer assignment.
- The maximum total theoretical damage from one spell is 368, achieved by hitting nine targets with Ice Barrage for 48 damage to the flag bearer and surrounding players for 40 damage each during a Castle Wars game.