This page contains methods for training the Fishing skill suggested by the 2007scape Wiki.
Fishing uses two types of items, divided into consumables and equipment. Consumables are used up at the rate of one item for each fish caught and are stackable, while the equipment is non-stackable and reusable.
- Net fishing: Small fishing net, not consumable.
- Bait fishing: Fishing rod and some fishing bait.
- Fly fishing: Fly fishing rod and feathers for bait.
- Harpooning: Harpoon (or just bare hands if you have completed Barbarian Training miniquest), not consumable. Note: Barb-tail harpoon works as well at 33 Hunter, and is preferred as it can be equipped in the Weapon slot, saving an extra inventory space
- Cage fishing: Lobster pot, not consumable.
- Barbarian fishing: Barbarian rod and usable baits: fishing baits, feathers, fish offcuts, roe, or caviar.
You can also do Fishing Trawler minigame to get a set of Angler's outfit for an additional 2.5% more fishing experience gained per fish caught. But be warned that you may take many hours before getting the outfit.
Normal Fishing Table Edit
|Shrimps||1||10||1||30||Net||3||Can be caught at seas.|
|Anchovies||15||40||1||30||Net||1||Can be caught at seas.|
|Trout||20||50||15||70||Fly||7||Can be caught at rivers.|
|Salmon||30||70||25||90||Fly||9||Can be caught at rivers.|
|Tuna||35||80||30||100||Harpoon||10||Can be caught at Karamja, the Fishing Guild, Catherby, and Rellekka.|
|Lobster||40||90||40||120||Cage||12||Can be caught at Karamja, the Fishing Guild, Catherby, and Rellekka.|
|Swordfish||50||100||45||140||Harpoon||14||Can be caught at Karamja, the Fishing Guild, Catherby, and Rellekka.|
|Monkfish||62||120||62||150||Net||16||Members only. Can be caught in Piscatoris fishing colony.|
|Shark||76||110||80||210||Harpoon||20||Members only. Can be caught at Catherby, the Fishing Guild, and at Rellekka.|
Barbarian Fishing Table Edit
|Fish||Image||Fishing level required||Strength/Agility levels required||Fishing experience gained||Strength/Agility experience gained||Cooking experience gained|
Bare-Handed Fishing Table Edit
|Fish||Image||Fishing level required||Strength level required||
Fishing experience gained
Strength experience gained
- East of Catherby, just before White Wolf Mountain.
- South of Draynor Village bank.
- South of the Al Kharid bank.
- South of Lumbridge, near the Fishing tutor.
At level 15, you will begin to catch anchovies too.
- Starting experience - 0
- Experience needed - 4,470
- Shrimps needed - 447 (4,470 experience)
- Anchovies needed (from 15 to 20) - 52 (2,080 experience)
You can fly fish trout at either Barbarian Village, Lumbridge, North of Seer's Village, or Shilo Village (Shilo Village quest required). Once you've reached level 30, you'll begin catching salmon and will begin to receive from 25k-36k experience per hour at levels below 70. If you choose to drop your fish rather than bank them, you can gain slightly higher experience rates. At almost all levels past 20, "powerfishing" trout/salmon becomes one of the fastest methods of experience. Another method some players use is fly fishing just south of Baxtorian Falls, and selling the fish to the nearby Rasolo the Wandering Merchant. This method allows a quick way to empty your inventory without having to drop the fish one at a time. Although, since the introduction of shift-dropping, it is now faster and less tedious to get rid of your inventory that way.
To gain levels quickly it is strongly recommended to fish trout and salmon (seers village is typically the best spot if you plan on simply dropping the fish) until you reach level 48, at which point you should switch to the barbarian fishing.
Read the section for Barbarian Fishing for more info.
- Starting experience - 4,470
- Experience needed - 32,754
- Trout needed - 656 (32,800 experience)
- Salmon needed (from 30-40) - 341 (23,870 experience)
At level 40 it is possible to fish lobsters at Catherby. At level 50, fishing for swordfish becomes a viable option, providing faster exp than lobsters, although it still provides less experience than fly fishing (until you reach a much higher level). At level 63, it is highly recommended that you buy an admiral pie and move to the Fishing Guild.
Note: It is strongly recommended that you keep fly fishing until 58 instead due to much faster xp/hr.
At about level 60 and above this will provide a slight profit over other methods, but the experience is reduced. You will gain around 20,000 to 30,000 experience per hour, and will be left with a little over two million coins worth of lobsters if trained from levels 40 - 70. At levels 50 and below you will only earn about 10,000 - 15,000 experience per hour, which is less than half what you could earn fly fishing at the same level.
- Starting experience - 37,270
- Experience needed - 700,357
- Lobsters needed - 7,782 (700,380 experience)
Levels 48 - 99 - Barbarian Fishing Edit
At level 48 you will be able to begin Barbarian Fishing.
You will have to complete a quick portion of a mini-quest in order to begin which you can find more info on here. The requirements for Leaping trout include 15 Strength and Agility. At level 58 Fishing you will also start catching Leaping salmon, assuming you have 30 Strength and Agility. You will catch these at the same speed as normal fly fishing, but you will receive more overall xp/hr as you will also gain a small amount of xp in both Strength and Agility.
At levels below 70 you will receive around 35k-50k xp/hr, while at levels 70 or above you will receive around 50k xp/hr. By level 99 you can reach around 60k xp/hr. You can get even higher rates of fishing xp through 3-tick Barbarian Fishing. (If 3-ticking, multiply normal expected rates by ~1.66.)
This is considered the fastest and most efficient method for training fishing, however it can become rather boring and there is absolutely no profit involved with this method as you will be dropping all your fish. If you are concerned about this aspect you can always use this method until a higher level where you will catch sharks, monkfish, etc. at a faster rate in order to make some profit and switch things up to reduce repetitiveness.
The experience is around 40,000 per hour, and they can be cooked for better food or sold for more money.
It is recommended you continue until at least level 80 with this method and this method remains faster than sharks until level 96 Fishing.
- Starting experience - 333,804
- Experience needed - 1,002,639
- Monkfish needed - 8,356 (1,002,720 experience)
- Profit made (62-76): 2,999,804
- If cooked: 3,893,896
You can hand-fish tuna and swordfish at the Fishing Guild with 50 Strength and after completing the Barbarian Training miniquest. If you cannot hand-fish these, then a harpoon may also be used although it's less efficient than a barb-tail harpoon which saves an inventory space. These are both caught quite fast and can serve as decent food if cooked.
- Starting experience - 737,650
- Experience needed - 598,793
- Tuna needed - 7,485 (598,800 experience) or
- Swordfish needed - 5,988 (598,800 experience)
This method is only recommended for players who care much more about money than experience as fishing sharks from level 76 (or 80) until level 99 is incredibly slow experience. Players will gain around 10,000 to 20,000 exp per hour, and each shark is worth around 899 coins raw and 994 coins cooked.
- Starting experience - 1,336,524
- Experience needed - 11,697,907
- Sharks needed - 106,345 (11,697,950 experience)
- Profit made (76-99): 95,604,155
- If cooked: 105,706,930 (22,332,450 cooking xp)
Fastest Experience (1-99) Edit
Doing this method from levels 1-99 will take you approximately 220-250 hours. Since the introduction of shift-dropping, getting rid of your inventory this way will lead to optimal rates.
Levels 1 - 24Edit
To quickly gain levels 1-24, complete the Sea Slug quest. The only requirement for this quest is 30 Firemaking and can be completed fairly quickly. This is a much faster route for early Fishing training than catching fish.
Levels 24 - 58Edit
For levels 24-58 you will be catching trout and salmon. The best places to catch these are in Barbarian Village, Shilo Village, north of Seer's Village, and just south of Baxtorian Falls. All you need for this method is feathers and a fly fishing rod. These items can be bought in any fishing store or in the Grand Exchange.
Levels 58 - 99Edit
For levels 58-99 you will be training south of Barbarian Outpost at Otto's Grotto by barbarian fishing. You will have to complete a quick miniquest. Once you complete this, you can catch leaping fish. The levels required for this method are 30 Agility and 30 Strength. At level 70 you'll be able to catch Leaping sturgeon, but this also requires 45 Agility and 45 Strength. This method gives both Agility and Strength experience as well as Fishing experience. Using this method will net you approximately 1.2M experience in both Agility and Strength by fishing from level 58 all the way up to 99.
- Fishing Contest - 2,437 Fishing experience
- Heroes Quest - 2,725 Fishing experience
- The Fremennik Trials - 2,812 Fishing experience
- Tai Bwo Wannai Trio - 5,000 Fishing experience
- Rum Deal - 7,000 Fishing experience
- Sea Slug - 7,175 Fishing experience
- Swan Song - 10,000 Fishing experience
- Recipe for Disaster - Rescuing Pirate Pete - 1,000 Fishing experience