This guide outlines the best methods for training the Woodcutting skill. Depending on preference for money, time, or combination of both, there are a variety of routes one can take to maximize efficiency.
The profit from training woodcutting is obviously made mostly by selling the logs obtained, but Bird nests can also provide some supplemental income in the form of a crushed nest and seeds. When woodcutting for profit, one should be aware that the profit from woodcutting is very low compared to other money-making methods. Thus if one wishes to obtain experience but also profit, it may be more beneficial to simply perform the fastest experience method and use the saved time to make money from alternative methods.
The only item required to cut wood is an axe, either equipped or in a player's inventory. In order to achieve the greatest amount of experience and logs, one should always use the best axe available at a Woodcutting level. It is recommended to wield one's axe when woodcutting to free up an inventory space, although each axe requires a certain Attack level to be equipped. It is highly recommended to use a dragon axe if possible due to its special attack temporarily boosting one's Woodcutting level by 3, which stacks with the level bonus provided by the Woodcutting Guild.
At level 60, players are able to enter the Woodcutting Guild provided they have 75% favour in the Hosidius House. While in the Woodcutting Guild, players have an invisible +7 bonus to their woodcutting level, meaning they will be able to gain experience at higher rates. There are 11 Normal trees, 4 Oak trees, 7 Willow trees, 13 Maple trees, 17 Yew trees, 8 Magic trees, and 2 Redwood trees (24 walls to chop) in the Woodcutting Guild. A very conveniently placed bank is located on the western side near the Yew, Magic, and Redwood trees, and a bank deposit box is located in the axe shop near the entrance to the guild and is conveniently located near Willow, Maple, and Yew trees. It is for these reasons that it is highly recommended to use this guild when possible.
Recommended tree locationsEdit
These are the most abundant of all tree varieties in Runescape, and can be found nearly anywhere. Because regular trees only provide a single log per tree, it is recommended to find an area with multiple trees; simply use the World Map to find a suitable location near a bank near you. Note that undead trees and evergreen trees all count as regular trees.
- Quite a few are found just south of the Seers' Village bank. This is perhaps the most convenient location due to its proximity to a bank.
- Three can be found along the path between Falador park and Falador west bank.
- Just east of the Draynor Village bank. Low level players should be careful here, as aggressive level 26 Jail Guards patrol the area.
- Just outside the Varrock gates west of the west bank and east of the east bank.
- Tree Gnome Stronghold has some fairly close to its respective bank.
- Ten can be found along the southern Falador wall just north of the Falador farm, but it is quite far away from a bank compared to these other locations.
- Some are located just south of the Draynor Village bank, though it is often crowded during the day. Low level players should be careful here due to the Level 7 wizards, which are aggressive.
- Six willow trees can be found north-west of the Seers' Village bank.
- The willows outside of Barbarian Assault are very close to a bank chest and not as crowded as Draynor Village willows.
- Several can be found in the Woodcutting Guild (requires level 60) and is rarely crowded.
- One tree is located south-west of Castle Wars
- On the south-east side of Ape Atoll (requires greegree at all times or completion of Monkey Madness II) but is not near a bank.
- Hardwood Grove in Tai Bwo Wannai (requires completion of Jungle Potion, 100 Trading sticks for entrance and some progress of the Tai Bwo Wannai Cleanup Minigame) but is not near a bank.
- Several can be found in the Woodcutting Guild (requires level 60), and is recommended due to the level bonus.
- Directly north of Seers' Village bank remains a popular location. Completion of the medium Kandarin Diary provides 10% extra XP (110 instead of 100 XP) at this location.
- Several can be found in the Woodcutting Guild (requires level 60), and is recommended due to the level bonus.
- 3 Yew trees behind Varrock Palace.
- 2 Yew trees south of the Edgeville bank by the entrance of the Edgeville Dungeon.
- Just south of the Seers' flax field. This is one of the best spots to chop as a bank is nearby.
- 4 yew trees west of Rimmington, but they are a long distance from a bank, which does not make the spot very popular.
- Several can be found in the Woodcutting Guild (requires 75% favour with the Hosidius House), and is recommended due to the level bonus.
- South of the Yew trees in Seers' Village, with a total of 4 in the vicinity of the Sorcerer's Tower
- Three are found just west of the Tree Gnome Stronghold bank
- Two are found in Kourend, with two banks fairly close by. This location is not often crowded.
These trees can only be found in the Woodcutting Guild, up the ladders directly west of the Magic trees.
Fastest experience methodEdit
The following section will outline the fastest route possible to get to level 99. Its goal is to forgo profit whenever greater experience can be achieved.
|1-15||Regular trees||97 logs (profit: 3,492) are required to reach level 15 Woodcutting without the Lumberjack outfit. Players can start off by buying an iron axe from Bob's Brilliant Axes in Lumbridge or from the Grand Exchange. At level 6 Woodcutting, a steel axe can be used, and at level 11, a black axe, but one can wait until Oaks before upgrading axes.|
|15-31||Oak trees||562 logs (profit: 16,860) are required to reach 31 Woodcutting without the Lumberjack outfit. Players should remember to switch to a mithril axe and adamant axe at levels 21 and 31 respectively.
At level 30, players could choose to switch to willow trees, but it is suggested to wait until level 31 and acquire an adamant axe before chopping Willow trees, as otherwise the experience rate is inferior to oak trees.
|31-65||Willow trees||6,439 logs (434,595 XP) are required to reach 65 Woodcutting without the Lumberjack outfit (profit: 77,268). Players should remember to switch to a Rune axe and Dragon axe at levels 41 and 61 respectively.
Since willows provide such little profit, it may be desirable to simply drop the logs instead of banking. This allows one to train at less crowded areas further from a bank, such as northeast Port Sarim or south of Rimmington. Alternatively, one can use the infernal axe at level 61, provided the player also has 85 firemaking. This axe will burn 1/3 of the logs cut, reducing the need to drop logs and also providing firemaking experience.
|65+||Teak trees||Teak trees will provide by far the fastest experience rate of all. This is only achievable through dropping logs though, so no profit will be made from this method.
It should be noted that 2-tick and 3-tick methods exist for Woodcutting that can dramatically increase experience rates (well in excess of 100k xp/hr). These methods require much more concentration and are click intensive, however. If one wishes to achieve these greatest rates, a video demonstration is recommended.
148,059 logs are required to reach 99 Woodcutting without the Lumberjack outfit.
|75+||Sulliusceps||Sulliuscep mushroom trees also provide fast experience, but requires completion of Bone Voyage to access, and is not as AFK as other methods. See the strategies page for more information.|
Profit and experience hybrid methodEdit
This method is a higher-profit adaptation to the above method.
|1-15||Regular trees||Same as the method above.|
|15-40||Oak trees||Expect around 18,000 XP per hour. You need 929 oak logs for levels 15 to 40 without the Lumberjack outfit (profit: 33,444).|
|40-75||Willow trees||Expect 30,000-60,000 XP per hour. You need 17,381 willow logs (1,173,197 XP) for levels 40 to 75 without the Lumberjack outfit (profit: 208,572). Be sure to read the advice on Willows in the above method. It is recommended to enter the Woodcutting Guild at level 60 and upgrade to a Dragon axe at 61 Woodcutting, as the xp gained over time is much higher.|
Alternatively, one can cut teaks. One will need 13,803 teak logs from level 40 to 75 without the Lumberjack outfit (profit: 2,663,979) or 152,909 teaks from 40 to 99 without the Lumberjack outfit (profit: 29,511,437). Expect 45,000 XP/h with teaks.
About 300-400 Mahogany logs per hour could be cut for 45,000-48,000 XP/h at about 62 woodcutting. One will need 9,386 Mahogany logs (profit: 1,811,498) from level 60 to 75.
|75-90||Yew trees||At level 75, yew logs begin to be worth cutting. 23,634 yew logs (4,135,911 XP) will be needed to reach 90 without the Lumberjack outfit (profit: 7,042,932). Yews are about 40,000-50,000 XP/h and 70,000-90,000 GP/h at level 75 at the Woodcutting Guild with a Dragon axe. Players should avoid cutting Magic logs right away; at level 75 at the Woodcutting Guild with a Dragon axe Magic logs provide only around 19,000-21,000 xp/h and 84,000-93,000 gp/h, nearly half the experience with little gain in profit.|
|90-99||Redwood trees||20,232 Redwood logs (7,688,160 XP) are required to reach level 99 without the Lumberjack outfit (profit: 5,300,784). Players should start cutting Redwood trees as soon as possible because they provide higher experience per hour than Yews. It is comparable to Teaks, although with a much lower click intensity.[what about magics?]|
Experience rates at level 99Edit
Note: The profit per hour for some logs is interpolated, and as such, may only be used as an approximation.
|Log||Level||Experience per log||Experience per hour||Profit per hour at 99||Members?||Notes|
|Normal log||1||25||10-15k||18,000||No||Normal trees include dead, jungle and evergreen trees, as well as regular trees. They are the most common trees in RuneScape. However, only one log can be cut from a normal tree before it falls.|
|Achey||1||25||17k||150,280||Yes||Achey Trees are used for the members-only quest Big Chompy Bird Hunting to make Ogre bows and arrows, as well as other ogre-related quests. They are located in Feldip Hills and by Castle Wars. Like normal logs, only one Achey log can be cut from a tree.|
|Oak||15||37.5||18k||14,400||No||Oaks are fairly common in RuneScape. A single oak tree can provide multiple logs.|
|Willow||30||67.5||30-60k||7,992||No||Willows are generally found near water. Some places they are found at include Port Sarim, Draynor Village, Lumbridge, south of Rimmington, Catherby, Barbarian Outpost and Seers' Village.|
|Teak||35||85||50-100k||170,226||Yes||Teaks are members-exclusive trees found in the hardwood grove by Tai Bwo Wannai, the Kharazi Jungle, and the woods south of Castle Wars, among other places. Players can pay 100 trading sticks, the currency in Tai Bwo Wannai, to enter the Hardwood Grove.|
|Maple||45||100 ||36-60k||3,360||Yes||There are many maples between Rellekka and Sinclair Mansion, as well as several behind the Seers' Village bank.|
|Hollow||45||82.5||70k||569,856||Yes||Hollow trees are found east of Canifis, in an area filled with aggressive monsters. When cut, bark is obtained. It can be made into Splitbark armour.|
|Mahogany||50||125||45-48k||161,820||Yes||Mahogany trees are found in the Hardwood Grove by Tai Bwo Wannai. Players can pay 100 Trading sticks, to enter the fenced-off area where the mahogany trees reside. They are also found on Ape Atoll, in the Kharazi Jungle, and Mos Le'Harmless. Woodcutters need to complete Jungle Potion quest before entering.|
|Arctic pine||54||40||14-20k||195,500||Yes||Arctic Pine trees are found on the island of Neitiznot. They can be used to make Fremennik roundshields. A player must have started The Fremennik Isles to gain entry.|
|Yew||60||175||23-38K (45k at WC Guild)||126,650||No||Yew trees give the most experience per log for free players. Free players can find them at Edgeville, south of Falador, north of Varrock Castle, and in the Lumbridge graveyard, among other places. Notable members-only spots include the Seers' Village churchyard, west of Catherby, Tree Gnome Stronghold, and Woodcutting Guild.|
|Magic||75||250||17-30k||101,990||Yes||Magic trees are members-only. Cutting them takes the most time of any log. These trees are found at the Mage Training Arena, Sorcerer's Tower, south-west of Lletya, and south-west of Seers' Village bank. There are also a few north of the Agility course in the Gnome Stronghold, and at the eastern edge. It is recommended that players use a Dragon axe to improve their Woodcutting rate.|
|Redwood||90||380||70k||48,208||Yes||Redwood trees are members-only. These trees are found only at the Woodcutting Guild, which requires a Woodcutting level of 90 (can be boosted), and 75% Hosidius House favour.|
- ↑ Maple logs yield 110 experience with the completion of medium Kandarin Diary.
- ↑ Bark is exchanged infrequently, therefore prices can be inaccurate.