|Also known as||Thief|
|Release date||30 April 2002 (Update)|
as of 7 February 2018 - update
as of 7 February 2018 - update
This is the act of walking up to an NPC and right clicking them, then selecting Pickpocket. If successful, you will gain Thieving experience and possibly coins or various items. However, it is possible for the NPC to notice a pickpocket, in which case the NPC will yell "What do you think you're doing?" or some other surprised saying and stun you for four seconds, which will take off a couple of your Hitpoints. Because of the possibility for damage, it is recommended that players bring food. The equipment that a player wears does not affect the success rate, aside from H.A.M. clothing, Dodgy necklace, Ardougne cloak or Gloves of silence. However, equipping a bow without arrows makes it impossible to accidentally attack an NPC.
Contrary to common belief, the player does NOT need to wait until the pickpocket animation is finished before pickpocketing again. The NPC may be pickpocketed as soon as the sound of the item stolen entering your inventory is played. This could effectively double your experience per hour if you were previously waiting for the animation to finish.
A useful trick that allows pickpocket spamming is by going to the Controls (Joystick) settings tab and changing the attack option priority to 'Always right-click', this effectively turns the Attack NPC left-click into pickpocket NPC left-click for most NPCs.
|Picture||NPC name||Level||Exp.||Possible loot/Notes||Stun time (seconds)||Stun damage|
|Farmer||10||14.5||9 coins, 1 potato seed||5||1|
|Female H.A.M. member||15||18.5||Buttons, rusty sword, damaged armour, feathers, bronze arrow, Clue Scroll (Easy), bronze axe, bronze dagger, bronze pickaxe, cow hide, iron axe, iron pickaxe, leather armour, logs, thread, raw anchovies, raw chicken, iron ore, coal, steel arrows, steel axe, steel pickaxe, grimy herbs, knife, needle, steel dagger, tinderbox, uncut jade, uncut opal, Ham boots, Ham gloves, Ham cloak, Ham shirt, Ham robe, Ham logo, Ham hood, coins. Wearing H.A.M. clothing increases the success rate.||4||1-3|
|Male H.A.M. member||20||22.5||Buttons, rusty sword, damaged armour, feathers, bronze arrow, Clue Scroll (Easy), bronze axe, bronze dagger, bronze pickaxe, cow hide, iron axe, iron pickaxe, leather armour, logs, thread, raw anchovies, raw chicken, iron ore, coal, steel arrows, steel axe, steel pickaxe, grimy herbs, knife, needle, steel dagger, tinderbox, uncut jade, uncut opal, H.A.M. boots, H.A.M. gloves, H.A.M. cloak, H.A.M. shirt, H.A.M. robe, H.A.M. logo, H.A.M. hood, coins. Wearing H.A.M. clothing increases the success rate.||4||1-3|
|Warrior woman/Al-Kharid warrior||25||26||18 coins, Warrior women can be found in the back main level rooms of varrock palace.||5||2|
|Rogue||32||35.5||25/40 coins, lockpick, iron dagger(p), wine, 8 air runes. Found deep in Wilderness southwest of Mage Arena, or in far northeast wilderness at Rogues' Castle.||5||2|
|Cave goblin||36||40||Coins, iron ore, tinderbox, swamp tar, oil lantern, torch, green gloop soup, frogspawn gumbo, frog burger, coated frogs' legs, bat shish, fingers, bullseye lantern, cave goblin wire||5||1|
|Master Farmer||38||43||All allotment, hop, herb, bush and flower seeds, cactus seed, belladonna seed, mushroom spores. Rarity increases with the farming level of the seed.||5||3|
|Fremennik Citizen||45||65||40 coins||5||2|
|Bearded Pollnivnian Bandit||45||65||40 coins||5||5|
|Desert Bandit||53||79.5||30 coins, antipoison, lockpick||5||3|
|Pollnivian Bandit||55||84.3||50 coins||5||5|
|Yanille Watchman||65||137.5||60 coins, 1 bread||5||3|
|Menaphite Thug||65||137.5||60 coins||5||5|
|Paladin||70||151.75||80 coins, 2 chaos runes||5||3|
|Gnome||75||198.5||300 coins, 1 earth rune, gold ore, Fire orb, swamp toad, King worm||5||1|
|Hero||80||275||200/300 coins, 1 blood rune, 1 diamond, wine, 2 death runes, fire orb, gold ore||6||4|
|Elf||85||353||280/350 coins, 3 nature runes, diamond, wine, 2 death runes, fire orb, gold ore||6||5|
|TzHaar-Hur||90||103.5||3-14 Tokkul, uncut sapphire, uncut emerald, uncut ruby, uncut diamond||5||4|
- ↑ Full rogue outfit only doubles uncut loot, not tokkul.
When pickpocketing a Master Farmer the seed type is rolled first. Once selected, the seed itself is rolled.
|Poison ivy seed||0.106%|
|Dwarf weed seed||0.0144%|
StallsEditThere are a large number of stalls throughout RuneScape, although many of them are in the Ardougne Market. Unlike pickpocketing NPCs, stealing from stalls have a 100% success rate as long as you are not in the line of sight of the stall owner or any of the nearby guards. It should be noted you may not interact with the stall owner for up to 10 minutes after the last theft from his or her stall.
There are chests scattered throughout RuneScape. Some chests will have traps on them, to discover what lay inside of them, the trap must be disarmed using the Thieving skill, click on the chest and select "Search for traps" from the drop down menu to allow your character to disarm the trap and obtain the items inside. After a player thieves from a chest, he will need to wait for a short period of time before he can again thieve from the chest. If "Search for traps" is not selected when attempting to thieve from a chest, the player will attempt to open the chest and take damage, this damage scales off of your current health down to a minimum.
Once chests had dual traps: the initial trap disarmed by the Thieving skill, and a secondary trap that released Poison Gas into the air, so lower level players required caution. Poison Gas was removed in an update.
|10 Coin Chest||13||7.8||10 coins||
East Ardougne (two):
|Nature Rune Chest||28||25||3 coins, nature rune||
East Ardougne (two):
|50 Coin Chest||43||125||50 coins||Ardougne, Axe Hut||50 seconds|
|Arrow Tip Chest||47||150||5 steel arrow tips||Hemenster, Rellekka||210 seconds|
|Dorgesh-Kaan (Average chests)||52||200||About 100-300 coins, bullseye lantern, oil lantern, cave goblin wire, mining helmet, clue scroll (easy)||Dorgesh-Kaan||210 seconds|
|Blood Rune Chest||59||250||500 coins, 2 blood runes||Chaos Druid Tower||135 seconds|
|Paladin Chest (King Lathas Chest)||72||500||1,000 coins, raw shark, adamant ore, uncut sapphire||Ardougne Palace||400 seconds|
|Dorgesh-Kaan (Rich chests)||78||650||500-2,500 coins, uncut sapphire, uncut emerald, uncut ruby, Uncut diamond, uncut opal, uncut jade, uncut red topaz, bullseye lantern, cave goblin mining helmet, frog armour, iron bar, Dorgeshuun light orb, empty light orb||Dorgesh-Kaan||300 seconds|
|Rogues' Chest||84||100||1,000 coins, 30 death runes, 30 fire runes, 25 mind runes, 40 chaos runes, 6 sapphires, 5 emeralds, 1-3 diamonds, 10 sharks, 20 pike, 15 raw tuna, 25 ashes, 10 iron, 13 coal, 3 tinderboxes, 2 cut dragonstones, clue scroll (hard)||Rogue's Castle||~10 seconds|
Certain doors in RuneScape can not be opened by players unless the lock is picked. In order to pick a lock, right-click on a door and select "Pick Lock". If the player has the required Thieving level, the door will then be opened. Some doors will require a lockpick to successfully pick the lock.
|Door to 10 Coin Chest||1||3.8||East Ardougne; the door to the empty house east of the east Baker's Stall|
|Door to Nature Rune Chest||14||15||East Ardougne; the door to the empty house just east of the Gem Stall|
|Ardougne House Door||14||15||East Ardougne; the door to the house with the just south of the north bank|
|H.A.M. Trapdoor||17||4||East of Draynor|
|Axe Hut Door||32||25||Level 54 Wilderness|
|Ardougne Sewer Gate||32||25||Ardougne Sewers|
|Pirate Hall||39||35||Level 54 Wilderness|
|Chaos Druid Tower||46||37.5||North of Ardougne|
|Paladin Door||61||50||Ardougne Palace|
|Yanille Dungeon Door||82||50||Yanille|
|Name||Level||Exp.||Possible Loot||Stun Time (seconds)||Stun Damage|
|Candle table north of altar in Entrana church||20||20||candle||1||1 - "A higher power smites you"|
- For levels 1-5, pickpocket men in Edgeville (3 coins/pick).
- For levels 5-21, steal cakes from the Baker's Stall in Ardougne.
- For levels 21-55, loot urns at the Pyramid Plunder minigame.
- For levels 55-91, pickpocket Ardougne knights. Bandits and Menaphites are also viable.
- For levels 91-99, return to Pyramid Plunder.
- For levels 15 and up pickpocketing H.A.M. Members can prove to be profitable because you can get clue scrolls while pickpocketing them; similarly, from level 38, pickpocketing Master Farmers provides a chance to collect valuable seeds.
- ↑ Full rogue outfit only doubles uncut loot, not tokkul.
|Image||Name||Boost||Level to obtain/use||Notes|
|Spring sq'irk juice||1||25||10% run energy boost.|
|Autumn sq'irk juice||2||45||15% run energy boost.|
|Summer sq'irk juice||3||65||20% run energy boost.|
|Yellow spicy stew||-5 to +5||25||-5 and +5 are rare|
There are four different random events that are specific to thieving.
- Watchman - A watchman may attempt to arrest a player and begin to attack him or her. This event has been discontinued.
- Poison Gas - When thieving from a chest, a poison cloud may appear, which will poison your character. This event has been discontinued.
- Pillory - It is possible that your character will be teleported to a pillory in Yanille, Varrock, or Seers' Village, where shapes must be matched in order to pick the lock and return to where your character was thieving. It is possible for players to throw food at the trapped player, although it wont do any damage.
- When picking pockets in the HAM Dungeon, it is possible to get slightly concussed from the blow (Higher Agility prevents this from happening as often). Get concussed 3 times, and you will be knocked out and thrown out of the dungeon.
There are a number of minigames which are based on or include Thieving.
- Pyramid Plunder - the desert city Sophanem has a pyramid where you can thieve for artefacts. As you get further into the pyramid, higher Thieving is required but it brings increasing amounts of Thieving experience. One of the fastest methods to train Thieving.
- Blackjack - Another Thieving activity in the desert.
- Rogues' Den - Traverse a maze with Thieving and Agility obstacles. Modest experience. More interesting for thieves is to open the safes in the dungeon. Good for experience and for the gems that you obtain as loot.
- Sorceress's Garden - An interesting game where you dodge guards and try to get fruit. Requires patience, a bit of skill, and experience, but yields excellent experience. Has four levels each giving increased experience at levels 1, 25, 45, and 65. Bring empty beer glasses (can be obtained for free at the shelves in the sorcerer's house).
Quests needing and rewarding Thieving experienceEdit
|Creature of Fenkenstrain||25||1,000|
|Darkness of Hallowvale||22||6,000|
|Death to the Dorgeshuun||23||2,000|
|Dragon Slayer II||60||15,000|
|A Fairy Tale Part II||40||2,500|
|The Fremennik Trials||None||2812.4|
|The Giant Dwarf||14||1,500|
|The Hand in the Sand||17||1,000|
|Icthlarin's Little Helper||None||4,500|
|Monkey Madness II||55||15,000|
|Mourning's Ends Part I||50||25,000|
|Spirits of the Elid||37||1,000|
|Tower of Life||None||500|
As of 7 February 2018, there are 15,535 current members that have achieved level 99 in Thieving.
- Thieving is one of the only skills that does not require any items for training (unless you're blackjacking).
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found