The amount of points awarded depends on the quest, ranging from 1 to 6 points. A special case is Recipe for Disaster, since it is split up into 10 sub-quests, each awarding 1QP.
A full list of quests, sortable by name, amount of QP, official length and membership requirement can be found on the Quest point table.
Miniquests do not give quest points. However, two miniquests (Alfred Grimhand's Barcrawl and Enter the Abyss) are required to complete other quests that do give quest points, and thus to get the quest cape.
Some activities require a player to have at least a certain amount of quest points:
- 12 quest points are needed to start Black Knights' Fortress.
- 20 quest points are needed to start Enlightened Journey.
- At 32 quest points, players can enter the Champions' Guild, to begin the ultimate free-to-play quest, Dragon Slayer, and earn the right to wear the best free-to-play body armour.
- 43 quest points to start the Tears of Guthix quest.
- 55 points are required to start the Heroes' Quest, which allows access the Heroes' Guild.
- 100 points are required to start the Swan Song quest, which allows access to the Piscatoris Fishing Colony.
- 107 quest points are one of the requirements to start the Legends' Quest, which admits players to the Legends' Guild.
- 175 points are needed to start the end-fights of Recipe for Disaster.
- 200 quest points are needed for Dragon Slayer II making it the highest requirement of any quest.
- Tears of Guthix is a minigame which can be played once a week and is unlocked by completing the quest of the same name. The more quest points a player has, the longer they can stay in the minigame, which means they will have the chance to collect more tears and get more experience in their lowest skill.
- Nightmare Zone is a minigame. The more QP a player has the more bosses a player can choose to fight in nightmare zone. Although this can be only chosen in Rumble mode and there will be a fee hanging around 22,000 coins for normal mode, and 26,000 coins for hard mode.
- In 2001, completing some quests would add to the "influence" skill. Later, the "influence" skill was replaced by the quest point system.
- RuneScape Classic players could have up to 112 quest points.