The amount of points awarded depends on the quest, ranging from 1 to 6 points. A special case is Recipe for Disaster, since it is split up into 10 sub-quests, each awarding 1QP.
A full list of quests, sortable by name, amount of QP, official length and membership requirement can be found on the Quest point table.
Some activities require a player to have at least a certain amount of quest points:
- 12 quest points are needed to start Black Knights' Fortress.
- 20 quest points are needed to start Enlightened Journey.
- At 32 quest points, players can enter the Champions' Guild, to begin the ultimate free-to-play quest, Dragon Slayer, and earn the right to wear the best free-to-play body armour.
- 43 quest points to start the Tears of Guthix quest.
- 55 points are required to start the Heroes' Quest, which allows access the Heroes' Guild.
- 100 points are required to start the Swan Song quest, which allows access to the Piscatoris Fishing Colony.
- 107 quest points are one of the requirements to start the Legends' Quest, which admits players to the Legends' Guild.
- 175 points are needed to start the end-fights of Recipe for Disaster.
- Tears of Guthix is a minigame which can be played once a week and is unlocked by completing the quest of the same name. The more quest points a player has, the longer they can stay in the minigame, which means they will have the chance to collect more tears and get more experience in their lowest skill.
- Nightmare Zone is a minigame. The more QP a player has the more bosses a player can chose to fight in nightmare zone. Although this can be only chosen in Rumble mode and there will be a fee hanging around 22,000 coins for normal mode, and 26,000 coins for hard mode.
- In 2001, completing some quests would add to the "influence" skill. Later, the "influence" skill was replaced by the quest point system.
- RuneScape Classic players could have up to 112 quest points.