A pet is a non-combat NPC loyal to a player that is generally obtained from monster drops and skilling. Available to members only, some pets must be raised to maturity by following the player, such as cats. Pets can also be interacted with. Most pets do not serve a purpose other than aesthetics, as most pets are very rare drops from certain bosses or skilling activities, and thus are often considered prestigious. A player may only have one pet following them at one time.
Unlike other pets, kittens must be stroked and fed regularly or they will run away. Once they reach adult stage, they no longer need to be fed.
Obtaining a petEdit
When a player receives a one-off pet (i.e. a boss or skilling pet), it will automatically try to appear as their follower. At the same time, a message in the chatbox will state You have a funny feeling like you're being followed. Upon receiving a pet, a small sound will be heard.
However, if a player receives a pet while having a follower out (for example, a cat), it will be placed into their inventory. When this occurs, the message in the chatbox will instead state You feel something weird sneaking into your backpack. If a players inventory is full and they have a follower already, they will not receive the pet.
When skilling, the pet is prioritised over the resource gathered; it will be placed in the last inventory slot available, while the resource gathered will be dropped underneath the player.
Players can still roll for pet drops even if they already own it, however it does not affect their main drop, as pet drops are a tertiary. When this happens, players will receive the message You have a funny feeling like you would have been followed...
If a player dies with a one-off pet following them (or if it is in their inventory and it is not one of the items protected on death) in a dangerous situation, the pet will be dropped and wander around the area for 30 seconds before despawning. Even if the player returns in time, the pet cannot be picked up. If the pet is not insured, players must re-obtain the pet as if they never had it. If insured, players can head to Probita and reclaim the pet for 1,000,000 coins. In order to insure a pet, the player must visit Probita and pay 500,000 coins.
List of petsEdit
These pets usually resemble the bosses that drop them, or the bosses that they are associated with.
These pets are obtained by training a specific skill, with the chance of obtaining one being based on the player's level in the corresponding skill and the base chance of the activity being performed.
For all drop rates, use the formula base chance - (level * 25). Base chances are found in the individual page of each pet. Players with 200 million experience in the corresponding skill will be fifteen times more likely in receiving the skilling pet.
As the rates use the player's base level, temporary skill boosts such as the dragon pickaxe's special attack or invisible boosts in areas such as the Woodcutting Guild do not affect the rate at which players can obtain these pets.
|Baby chinchompa||Obtained while hunting chinchompas||See here|
|Beaver||Obtained while woodcutting||See here|
|Giant squirrel||Obtained while training agility||See here|
|Heron||Obtained while fishing||See here|
|Rift guardian||Obtained while runecrafting||See here|
|Rock golem||Obtained while mining||See here|
|Rocky||Obtained while thieving||See here|
|Tangleroot||Obtained while farming||See here|
These pets are obtained either through quests or other means.
|Bloodhound||Received when completing master clue scrolls||1/1,000|
|Cat||Gertrude, after completing Gertrude's Cat||N/A|
|Chompy chick||Dropped by Chompy birds after completing the elite Western Provinces Diary||1/500|
|Hellcat||Catching Hell-Rats with a cat||N/A|
|Pet fish||Caught in Harry's Fishing Shop using a tiny net, with a fishbowl (containing water and seaweed) in the inventory||N/A|
|Pet penance queen||High-level gambles in Barbarian Assault||1/1,000|
|Pet rock||Askeladden after The Fremennik Trials||N/A|
|Phoenix||Supply crates earned from subduing the Wintertodt (completion of game gives possible chance)||1/5,000|
|Toy cat||Clockwork and a regular plank used at a Crafting table 4 with 85 Crafting||N/A|
One-off pet totalsEdit
|Prince black dragon||1,950||3,050||5,614||7,530||9,830|
- When a pet is in the inventory as an item, its name may be incorrectly capitalised; this is because all items in RuneScape use ucfirst capitalisation, wherein the first letter of a string is capitalised, but the rest is not. For example, as an inventory item, TzTok-Jad's pet is called Tzrek-jad, but as a follower it's called TzRek-Jad.
- ↑ Jagex. Mod Kieren's Twitter account. 8 October 2016. Mod Kieren: "15x more likely."
- ↑ Jagex. Mod Ed's Twitter account. 22 July 2017. Mod Ed: "It doesn't affect the rate but it will allow you to mine slightly faster than you'd be able to otherwise."
- ↑ Jagex. Mod John C's Twitter account. 8 October 2015. Mod John C: "OSRS Total Boss Pets owned, not including those stored in menageries! "
- ↑ Jagex. Mod John C's Twitter account. 14 March 2016. Mod John C: "Here's an updated count of boss and skill pets in the game as of March 14th 2016! "
- ↑ Jagex. Mod Lottie's Twitter account. 7 November 2016. Mod Lottie: "As promised... Boss Pets, Skill Pets and "Other" Pets in @OldSchoolRS.   "
- ↑ Jagex. Mod Lottie's Twitter account. 16 May 2017. Mod Lottie: "The number of pets in @OldSchoolRS along with an ironman status split. Enjoy! :) "
- ↑ Jagex. Mod Lottie's Twitter account. 16 November 2017. Mod Lottie: "Here are the latest @OldSchoolRS pet counts! "
• • • • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •