|Also known as||WC|
|Release date||4 January 2001 (Update)|
as of 11 July 2018 - update
as of 11 July 2018 - update
Woodcutting is a gathering skill that primarily involves chopping trees to obtain logs used in the Fletching, Firemaking, and Construction skills. Players with a higher Woodcutting level can chop down new types of trees and cut down trees quicker. As levels increase, players can use better axes to chop trees faster. Players with high enough Attack levels can equip the axes that match the respective metals, but having an axe equipped is not necessary in order to chop a tree; having it in the player's inventory also works.
Woodcutting is a useful skill for a low-levelled player to make money early in the game.
Experience during trial runsEdit
- At 68 Woodcutting (all in Seers' Village, using Seers' bank)
- At 70 Woodcutting (using one teak tree south of Castle Wars and dropping logs)
- Teak - 56.6k/hr (based on 65k exp gained)
- At 90 Woodcutting
- Redwood - 50k/hr, scales up to 70k/hr at 99
- At 80 Woodcutting (Using two teak trees and dropping logs)
- Teak - 70k/hr (With lumberjack outfit)
Types of treesEdit
|Normal||1||25||The most common tree on RuneScape, these trees are how players start off training Woodcutting. Both evergreen and dead trees (both small and big) also yield logs. Each tree only yields one log, after which they are cut down and respawn in a short time. Normal logs are also used to start off Firemaking and Construction training.|
|Achey||1||25||These trees are used for the members-only quest Big Chompy Bird Hunting, to make Ogre bows and arrows. Like normal trees, Achey trees only yield one log.|
|Oak||15||37.5||These trees are fairly easy to find around wooded areas. Unlike normal trees, Oak trees can yield multiple logs, and are used for training once the player has the ability to cut them. Oak logs are commonly used in Construction training.|
|Willow||30||67.5||These trees are found near water. Players can find them in and around Port Sarim, Draynor Village, Seers' Village, and Champions' Guild. A usually unoccupied area is also at the lake west of Farmer Fred's hut.|
|Teak||35||85||These trees yield teak logs when cut, which are used for Construction training. Teak trees are rather rare, with several lone trees around Castle Wars, Uzer and Ape Atoll. A large cluster can be found in the Hardwood Grove.|
|Maple||45||100||Maple trees are special trees which can be found only in northern Kandarin and the Fremennik Province. Experience per log increases to 110 after completeing the Kandarin Medium Diary. Maple logs are used for Firemaking.|
|Hollow||45||82.5||These are found in Slepe and the Haunted Woods, and yield bark, which is used to create Splitbark equipment.|
|Mahogany||50||125||Like teak trees, mahogany trees are quite rare, and yield mahogany logs when cut, which are used for Construction training. Mahogany trees can be found in the Hardwood Grove, Ape Atoll and the Kharazi Jungle.|
|Arctic pine||54||40||These are found on the islands of Neitiznot, these logs are better used for Firemaking experience rather than Woodcutting.|
|Yew||60||175||The highest levelled tree for free players to cut, yew trees are quite uncommon throughout RuneScape. Their logs are primarily used for Firemaking.|
|Sulliuscep||65||127||Found in the Tar Swamp on Fossil Island, chopping sulliusceps grant the player 83 experience per yield. Players can receive mushrooms and mort myre fungus from chopping sulliusceps, but they can also receive sulliuscep caps. There are six sulliusceps found throughout the swamp, but only one can be chopped down. Thus, players must traverse the Tar Swamp to find the choppable sulliuscep.|
|Magic||75||250||These trees are members-only. Cutting these trees takes time as they give logs at a very slow rate. You can find these trees at the Mage Training Arena, Sorcerer's Tower, and southwest of Camelot. There are also a few just west of the south ladder to the bank in the Gnome Stronghold, as well as inside the Woodcutting Guild.|
|Redwood||90||380||These trees are found exclusively in the Woodcutting Guild.|
Canoes are a way of travelling along the River Lum. All that is required to use them is an axe and a minimum of level 12 Woodcutting for the lowest level canoe. There are four canoe stations and five stops.
Canoes are a very handy way of getting to Edgeville without a Amulet of glory.
Note that while the Wilderness is the last stop, there are no suitable trees to make a canoe, so it is a one-way trip. It drops players off just north of the black chinchompa hunting grounds.
|Log||12||30||Can travel 1 stop along the River Lum. Can not go to the Wilderness.|
|Dugout||27||60||Can travel 2 stops along the River Lum. Can not go to the Wilderness.|
Can travel 3 stops along the River Lum (which is enough to travel anywhere along it except wilderness). Can not go to the Wilderness.
|Waka||57||150||Can travel 4 stops along the River Lum, and is the only canoe that can go to the Wilderness.|
Be careful as you cannot make a canoe in the Wilderness station.
|Axe||Picture||Woodcutting level||Attack level||Smithing level to make||Notes|
- ↑ Jagex. Mod John C's Twitter account. 3 June 2016. Mod John C: "After the update, the chance of a redwood tree depleting will have decreased from 1 in 16 to 1 in 11."
- ↑ Jagex. Mod John C's Twitter account. 3 June 2016. Mod John C: "All other trees are 1 in 8."
- ↑ The attack level requirement is to wield the axe. One can cut logs with it in their inventory as long as they meet the woodcutting requirement.
|Outfit piece||Picture||Woodcutting level||Extra exp given||Notes|
|Lumberjack boots||44||0.2% bonus exp||
|Lumberjack legs||44||0.6% bonus exp||
|Lumberjack top||44||0.8% bonus exp||
|Lumberjack hat||44||0.4% bonus exp||
- Wearing the whole set gives an additional 0.5% bonus, totalling to 2.5% bonus experience.
- An axeman's folly increases the player's Woodcutting level by 1. This is brewed using the Cooking skill.
- A mature axeman's folly increases the player's Woodcutting level by 2. This is also brewed using the Cooking skill.
- The dragon axe has a special attack which boosts the player's Woodcutting level by 3.
- A brown spicy stew randomly increases Woodcutting, Herblore, Farming, Fishing, Mining and Firemaking up to 5 levels or decreases up to 5 levels. These can be made using the Cooking skill, but only by members who have freed Evil Dave in the Recipe for Disaster quest.
- Equipping the Woodcutting Cape of Accomplishment or operating the cape while it is worn will temporarily boost your Woodcutting level to 100. To obtain this cape, level 99 Woodcutting is required, and it must be bought from Wilfred, the Woodsman tutor for 99,000 coins.
Quests rewarding Woodcutting experienceEdit
|Quest||Required Woodcutting level||Required quest points||Experience|
|Recipe for Disaster (reward is an experience lamp, which gives 20000 experience to any skill above 50)||50||175||1,575|
|The Eyes of Glouphrie||None||None||2,500|
|The Fremennik Trials||40||None||2,812|
|Icthlarin's Little Helper||None||None||4,000|
|The Fremennik Isles||56||None||10,000|
(1 May, 2014) There are 1,015 players with 99. The best woodcutter has 105m XP.
(12 June 2014) There are 1,213 players with 99. The best woodcutter has 114m XP.
(3 August 2014) There are 1,548 players with 99. The best woodcutter has 140m XP.
(21 September 2014) There are 1,844 players with 99. The best woodcutter has 154m XP.
(27 October 2014) There are 2,021 players with 99. The best woodcutter has 165m XP.
(5 February, 2015) There are 2,553 players with 99. The best woodcutter has 199m XP.
(26 February 2015) There are 2,703 players with 99. The best woodcutter has 200m XP.
(13 December 2015) There are 4,882 players with 99. The best woodcutter has 200m XP.
(13 June, 2016) There are 6,787 players with 99. There are 6 woodcutters with 200m XP.
(8 February, 2017) There are 11,975 players with 99. There are 12 woodcutters with 200m XP.
(4 February, 2018) There are 22,816 players with 99. There are 25 woodcutters with 200m XP.